Hollywood racks has a pedigree that stretches back to 1973 when they first started building high quality bike racks and have maintained a solid reputation ever since. Transporting four bikes at a time can be a real chore with truck mounted racks, which is why something solid like this offering is highly recommended. In fact, even finding trunk mount bike racks that can hold 4 bikes isn’t easy, let alone ones that are good.
Also see: Trunk vs Roof Mounted Bike Racks.
Since loading four bikes at a time puts so much weight on a rack it has to be exceptionally durable and thankfully the F4 does not disappoint in this regard. It is made from extra-heavy duty steel tubing and hardware to ensure that the bikes remain secure and stable during transit. Many trunk mount racks only use four straps to secure the rack to the car, but the F4 uses six for extra peace of mind. Included in the package are extra straps to keep the bike wheels from spinning and causing instability, along with foam pads to prevent the vehicle from getting scratched.
Just remember to always load the heaviest bikes first when putting multiple bikes on the rack to keep everything stable. Because of the design of the rack the lower bar rests on the fender, which means all the weight of the bikes are not on the rear window of the vehicle. This also decreases the risk of swaying while the vehicle is in motion. While the rack is too heavy when fully loaded to open the boot, it is still lightweight enough on its own that you can open the rear liftgate on a SUV with it installed.
Installing the F4 is very straightforward and after doing it once by following the included instructions, anyone should be able to do it again from memory. The rack is shipped fully pre-assembled, so there is no need to worry about putting together any small parts or using special tools. All you have to do is insert a few nuts and bolts before installing it on your vehicle. Since the rack can be folded flat when not in use, it is surprisingly compact and very easy to store away. In fact, I would recommend stowing the rack away when not in use because of how easy it is to remove and the lack of a locking system.
- This rack is able to carry up to safely transport up to four bikes
- Features motorcycle tie down buckles as well as extra side straps to ensure a secure fit even for heavy loads
- Constructed from extra-heavy duty steel tubing and hardware
- This bike rack is very easy to adjust
- Comes pre-assembled so no complicated assembly is required
- Designed to not cause any damage to your vehicle if mounted properly
- Able to fit on most SUVs, minivans, and sedans
- Can be folded flat to allow for easy storage
- Comes with day glow safety flag
- Takes on a couple of minutes to install or remove from vehicle
- Cannot open boot when bikes are mounted on the rack
- Incompatible with certain vehicles
- The fact that it is so easy to remove could pose a security risk as there is no locking system
If your vehicle does not have a tow hitch and you need to transport up to four bikes securely, then the Hollywood Racks F4 is a good investment. Just make sure that you check the compatibility list to see if your vehicle will be able to hold the rack. The list is updated regularly with new models, so it is a great resource for determining the compatibility of your vehicle. Overall the F4 is a sturdy and reliable bike rack that can be used with confidence.