Heavy duty bike racks don’t have to be complicated and the TYGER Deluxe 4-bike carrier is the perfect testament to that. The Deluxe is a dual-arm carrier with a 4-bike capacity. It mounts on 1 ¼ and 2 inch hitches and is suitable for trucks and SUVs although it works for sedans, hatchbacks, and minivans too provided there’s a matching receiver hitch.
This rack is priced competitively but it’s not one that you should buy in a rush decision. Take your time and appreciate its beautiful construction and features before making a decision. Based on various user reviews we scoured, the TYGER Deluxe 4-bike carrier is a worthwhile investment for bikers searching for a capable and affordable rack.
While aesthetics should not be that big of a deciding factor, the TYGER’s beautiful design is hard to ignore. The rack features a dual-arm construction with a single supporting center mast. The arms can fold down when not in use to create parking space and the mast can tilt to an angle to allow access to the trunk.
The TYGER Deluxe comes with nifty security features for theft deterrence. It also carries a limited lifetime warranty for total peace of mind. This carrier uses the same basic concept as other hitch-mounted bike carriers; a shank is fitted into a receiver hitch of matching size to setup the rack. For the rest of this post we’ll be looking at the detailed features and setup of the TYGER Deluxe 4-bike carrier rack.
Features & Setup
The TYGER Deluxe 4-bike Carrier Rack is the perfect travel accessory if you need to transport your bike anywhere. There’s no doubt the best road trips are never possible without a good SUV but there are just some areas where a bike is the best means to enjoy an adventure. The Deluxe makes it easy to transport up to 4 bikes at ago. Its gorgeous design is sure to amplify your car’s looks. However, away from looks, the Deluxe holds up firmly in terms of performance.
The rack consists of a single center mast that supports two rubber-cushioned carry arms. Each carry arm has 4 soft cradles where the bikes are mounted. Bikes are secured onto the soft cradles by means of safety straps on each cradle. The entire rack construction comprises sturdy steel metal with a corrosion-resistant black e-coating finish to ensure durability. To set up the rack, fit the center mast into the hitch receiver on the car. The receiver should be either 1 ¼ or 2 inches wide.
Once the center pole is inside the hitch receiver, line up the pinhole on the hitch with the hole on the center post; you need this to screw the anti-wobble bolt (ships with the rack) through the joint and tighten it. The hitch pin lock secures the rack onto the hitch to guarantee safety, just in case someone manages to remove the bolt that holds the joint. The pin is removed to tilt the rack when you want to access your trunk.
In addition, the rack ships with a cable lock to the secure the bikes onto the rack, just in case a burglar is lucky enough to unstrap them from their cradles.
TYGER Deluxe 4-bike Carrier Rack Pros
- The Deluxe is easy to setup. As with most hitch-mounted setups, the Deluxe only requires the rack to be fitted into a compatible receiver hitch and that’s it with the installation.
- The Deluxe is very affordable; it’s one of the cheapest in its category.
- The folding carry arms create a compact rack easy to store and carry when not in use. This feature is also useful when creating parking space for your car.
- The rack has a tilt down feature that allows hassle-free access to the trunk of the car although this is possible with an unloaded rack.
- The soft cradles on the carry arms are lined with padding to prevent damage to your bike’s frame paint.
- The Deluxe is a heavy duty rack with a carrying capacity of 4 bikes maximum. It is ideal for a variety of trips and users.
- It is easy to load and unload bikes on this rack.
- The rack comes with a cable lock at no extra cost. Add this to its competitive pricing and you have a winner.
- The hitch pin lock ensures safety of rack. In addition, the provided cable lock ensures security of your bikes.
- The straps on the soft cradles ensure the bikes are firmly secured onto the carry arms to prevent swinging during transportation.
TYGER Deluxe 4-bike Carrier Rack Cons
- This rack has one point of attachment for the bikes (the frame). No matter how much you strap it, there will always be some swaying and shaking,let alone spinning of the tires.
- While it is competitively priced, the TYGER Deluxe faces stiff competition from other formidable racks in the same category, such as the Allen Sports Premier Hitch Mounted 3-bike Carrier.
- The tilt-down feature may not work when rack is loaded with bikes since the added weight pushes down on the hitch lock pin, making it hard to remove it.
- When rack is fully loaded, it blocks the driver’s rear view through the mirror.
TYGER bike racks are some of the most affordable on the market. The Deluxe 4-bike Carrier is an affordable heavy duty rack that offers straightforward installation and ease of use. The TYGER Deluxe carries up to 4 bikes and comes with a cable lock for added security for your bikes. It has a tilting feature (though may be useless when fully loaded) that allows access to the trunk. You can fold the carry arms when not in use and the rack becomes compact for storage.
Overall, the TYGER Deluxe 4-bike rack is perfect if you’re looking for a very affordable rack that’s largely mess-free and sturdy. You’ll have to contend with a few hiccups here and there but overall, this rack gets you huge savings while giving you heavy duty carrier features that you’d otherwise have paid for through the nose on a pricier carrier.